In 376 days, I have completed 32 goals.
37% of the time has passed and I have only finished 32% of my goals.
I really NEED TO GET ON IT.
13 of the goals I have changed since last December. Not because I knew I couldn't finish them, but because finishing them for the sake of finishing them isn't the kind of goal setter I am. I'm not setting goals to win a prize, to pat myself on the back, to cross things off this handy list or impress anyone.
Goals have a purpose
Every one of these goals has a purpose to make memories (#7), for me to become more of the person God has called me to be (#22), to push myself in my career (#35), to strengthen my body, my mind, or my health in general (#9, #25, #85), to further my relationships with John and my friends and my family (#13, #24, #96).
Last December seems like a hundred years ago. More than a hundred things have changed. Looking at the 32 goals I have finished.. some of them have straight up changed my life. #14, for example, or #92 (the magazine!).. Reaching these goals has done everything I intended them to do and more (always more, much more!), and setting those goals, just simply writing them down, motivated me to make them happen.
But if achieving a goal doesn't get you closer to its purpose, let it gooooo
I removed 13 goals from my original list. Why? Because things change.
I used to make the funniest YouTube videos. (I am the humblest person I know.) And one of my original goals was to make *FIFTY* videos, because I had sooo much fun & I wanted to have 50 times the amount of fun. But when I realized that I had to choose between making the magazine (super fun) or making the YouTube videos- I couldn't choose the videos simply because I had told myself I would. There is definitely something to be said about discipline, for sure, but I had to evolve with my career, my life, and my goals had to evolve, too.
Not achieving a goal is not the same as quitting
Think about all the goals you've had in your whole life. I had a goal to keep growing my hair out until I was married.. can you imagine how long & gnatted my hair would be now?! I had a goal to speak learn how to say 1-10 in every language until my best friend told me once "That sounds like a complete waste of time." I was like.. you're totally right. (Although still kind of fun?). I used to have a goal of getting my master's in Speech Therapy and doing photography like maybe a little bit on the side. Can you imagine how much less fulfilled I'd be in life if I spent all my time (and DOLLARS) on a degree in something I realized I wasn't passionate about anymore? Nope, nope I cannot imagine it. Thank goodness.
We have a limited amount of time, of energy, of resources ,of excitement, of passion.
Using that time, energy, resourcefulness, excitement and passion on the wrong things is not the right thing to do for the sake of achieving goals.
So, to you out there whose goals have changed, I am proud of you
I am proud of you for recognizing that you need to check-in with yourself, you need to update your dreams, you need to chase your passions, whatever they may be, and write your goals down *for sure*, but don't trick yourself into thinking that crossing things off a list is the same as achieving your dreams.
But as the Scriptures say, “No one has ever seen, no one has ever heard, no one has ever imagined what God has prepared for those who love him.” - 1 Corinthians 2:9
My Updated 101 Goals List
All completed goals are bolded.
All new goals are italicized.
Started: December 2, 2014
Ends: Thursday, August 31, 2017 (right after my TWENTY EIGHTH BIRTHDAY OMGOD)
- Go on a cruise
- Get a new office space
- Host 3 clothing swaps (January 2015, May 2015, October 2015 and one more in January 2016!)
- See Banff
- Buy an h2o dispenser and USE IT Christmas 2014
- Have a conversation in Farsi
- See New Orleans
- Go on a 2 day minimum road trip September 2015
- Go to yoga 10 times in 30 days
- Make Beau frozen baby food February 2015
- Get a blog design I am proud of January 2015
- Take another photoshoot of my parents together November 2015
- Take John to yoga February 2015
- Start taking high school senior photos April 2015
- Get my belly button re-pierced January 2015
- Go to Portland
- Have lunch in Central Park
- Take a hip hop dance class December 2014
- Visit Denver January 2015
- Go ice skating on New Years December 31, 2014
- Spend a weekend unplugged
- Join a Bible study
- Go laser tagging
- Take Beau for a full day by ourselves
- Get a SLO library card for free audiobooks
- Help Tom with a home project
- Go on another week long motorcycle ride with Dave
- Throw a surprise party
- Start doing my taxes BEFORE the year is over
- Go sailing
- Go horseback riding January 2015
- See a ballet in Seattle
- Make an ebook or an ecourse
- Photograph for a local clothing line
- Write 100 blog posts
- Host a SLO What? event
- Sell a photograph of mine as a piece of art
- Save $10 for every goal I reach
- Go to Harry Potter Land in Orlando with CJ & Alyssa March 2015
- Do another guest post on a blog December 2014
- Get Beau to learn my name
- Teach Beau a few French words
- Make a posing guide
- Start a personal vlog
- Throw pottery
- Get 500 followers on Blog Lovin
- See Antelope Canyon September 2015
- Go to the Hot Air Balloon Festival in New Mexico
- See Kelly Clarkson live. Again. August 2015
- Blog about 50 things on this list
- Make my own headshot back drop
- Send out yearly calendar for Christmas
- See Niagara Falls
- Make a sand castle
- Have graduation invites designed March 2015
- Go camping in Big Sur
- Wear my retainer full time for the 2 months prescribed
- Take just a book and myself to Jo Mama’s and read March 2015
- See Sam Smith in concert
- Memorize my passport number (again..)
- Pay for my car tags on time just one freaking time
- Interview at least 3 local business owners and blog/write in the magazine about it
- Photograph another international wedding
- Buy another camera for my second shooter
- Place first in Fantasy Football
- Play volleyball at Meadow Park
- Go on a camping trip with my parents in their trailer
- Braid my sister’s hair February 2015
- Go to Hawaii
- Find the perfect pair of booties
- Do a photo shoot in my prom dresses
- Donate my prom dresses
- Go on the graffiti tour in LA
- Go dancing in Hollywood
- Make a website for my mom's Jarling Treats
- Scout ten different locations in SLO
- Be in town every weekend for a month so I can go to church 4 times in a row
- Go to Switchfoot Day in San Diego for Haley's birthday at least one more time
- Go scuba diving
- Buy a new Prius
- Throw my parents a wedding anniversary party
- Photograph all my favorite baristas
- Rent a car March 2015 in Florida!
- Have a bonfire on the beach and make s’mores Oct 2015
- Learn how to make myself dinner
- Start morning walks again when it’s not freezing
- Get tags made for my beanie shop
- Hang and start using my scratch off world map
- Make my family cookbook and gift it
- Hike the P December 2014
- Find out if I can still do backflips
- Start a magazine
- Learn how to knit
- Get 10 new “You are Here” Starbucks mugs (Denver, Colorado, Orlando, Florida, Houston, Boston, Cambridge, Washington, Phoenix, Portland!)
- Have a Catch Phrase game night August 2015
- Teach my friends the card game Hands & Feet
- Plant an avocado tree
- Print out John’s family photos Mother's Day 2015
- Cut my hair shoulder length December 2014
- Learn how to film artsy videos
- Vote on something I actually know about and care about
Would you like to make your own list? I thought you would. Cause you and I, we’re a lot alike. And we like lists and we like life.
I should retitle my blog “Life in lists.”
I have written you a How-To guide so you can make yourself an exciting, fabulous, attainable but nonetheless a LITTLE out of your comfort zone 101 Things in 1,001 Days list!
It’s gonna be great.
Tons of love,