Well, this title is a little misleading. If I've learned anything the past month- which I have, obviously- then it's that you just need time after a break up. Time and coffee and really good friends and gluten free cupcakes.
"31 Ways To Work On Trying To Be On Your Way To Eventually Getting Over A Break Up In A Little Bit Longer Than A Month".
That's what the title should be. You see how that doesn't quite have the same ring?
It's been the busiest 5 weeks of my life. I basically have taken a vacation and decided to completely pack my calendar with fun amazing things. I feel like somebody from the outside would think I'm convinced the world is ending. Like I'm attacking life with that kind of fervor- THE WORLD IS ENDING, MUST HORSEBACK RIDE BEFORE IT'S OVER. But honestly? I feel like if I had time to just sit with myself, I would think the world is over. So, there's some hashtag truth for you.
Here's what I would recommend to do in the first 30 ish days post break up to be well on your way to eventually actually getting over it:
- Redo your bucket list
- Horseback ride in Santa Barbara
- Decorate cupcakes in Los Angeles
- Get punched in the face in San Francisco
- Start listening to country again (but tell no one)
- Fall asleep on your friend's living room floors
- Get an entirely new wardrobe
- Completely trash your room (because you have no space for your new wardrobe)
- Fly to Denver
- Ice skate on a lake
- Rename your future children
- Light a new candle in your room
- Dance until 2 am
- Or go to bed at 8 pm, totally fine
- Chop your hair off
- Make yoga a regular practice
- Book a trip to Florida
- Book a trip to Seattle
- Book a trip to Harry Potter Land
- Meal plan. Do it or you will never eat
- Skype your sister and her beautiful baby every morning
- Have a lot of sleep overs at your place with your best friend
- Spend two days in Palm Springs with your best girlfriend from college
- Spend a weekend in San Diego
- Go on one (ONLY ONE) very boring date
- Try to become addicted to The Bachelor, but fail because those girls are all crazy
- Learn to play Settlers of Catan (and then want to play like every night)
- Take A LOT of photos of yourself
- Get your belly button re-pierced (p.s. your best friend will tell you you’re the first person to get their belly button pierced since 2004)
- Cry in public exactly two times. Once in Kreuzberg and once in the car wash
- Realize it's okay to not be okay
It's okay to not be okay.
It's okay to realize you have so much work to do. It's okay to pack your calendar so you can put off doing any of that work. Because it's scary and hard and isn't it so much more fun to just have fun? You will get to it, eventually, I promise. In the meantime, just enjoy those cupcakes.
Tons of love,